Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ni hao from Beijing



Yep, we made it. Second day here now and we all slept like champs last night. Donna slept for 11 hours straight, narrowly beating my record. Her suitcase was a kilo and a half lighter than mine too. Curse you, Donna, always showing me up...
So we got in to Beijing at 6:00am and did all the customs stuff. I was amazedat how simple it is going through customs. The process is lengthier and more complicated going into Australia, even if you were born there! Thy did have a thermal sensor though, which showed your body temperature as you walk through it. In other words, a machine that checks out how hot you are! It goes without saying I registered off the scale.
Dr Han Xi from the Confucious Institute was kind enough to meet us at the airport (that's her you can see trying to Rose's left, trying to duck out of the photo. Too slow!) We boarding the Peking Universiy bus and off we went.
On the highway all the trees were bare. The trees are all thin, tall and twiggy, like old-fashioned brooms. I was still adjusting to the cold at that point and my hands (and brain) weren't working so well, but I wish I'd got a photo of the bird's nests at the top of some of these trees. They were huge! I asked Han Xi what bird made them but she didn't know and neither did any of the other Chinese people she asked. A mystery! They must be either a good size or hard workers though!

1 comment:

  1. I think they installed those THERMAL sensors to see whether people had Bird-Flu. The fever associated with the infection was high enough to alert customs and people where denied access to China or whisked off to hospital if they were trying to leave with it. Bad news for you Mr Host Stuff. Hope you get to come home!

    ReplyDelete