Thursday, January 8, 2009

I spoil myself

After two days mostly offline, I have recognised that the Internet has officially packed up. So here I am in an internet cafe, keeping you all in my loop. It is quite expensive, so I may not be able to update as much as I liked. I want to post a lot of photos, but the speed of the, net over here makes that difficult. I will persevere!

In the winter Beijing is a hoary kind of cold. At the Summer Palace that worked to our advantage because we didn't overheat walking up and down all the stairs and the lake was frozen and beautiful. But damn if I'm not sick and tired of putting gloves, hats, scarves and jackets on and then having to strip out of them whenever we go inside!
While I'm on the topic of clothes... I spoiled myself today. We went to this shopping mall and it was okay, mostly girly stuff like bags and shoes. I wasn't that impressed.Until we realised that two thirds of the place was underground! We had only scratched the surface (and I mean that more literally than usual) with what we had thought was the whole mall.
Downstairs was the goods. I saw a lot of cool stuff. Chinese new year is my friend (and yours) because most major stores seem to be having half-price sales in honour of the occasion. So although the malls are way more expensive than the markets you can still get a good deal. I bought a jersey and some pants. They are both black, so I look like a ninja right now. I better invest in some colour, especially as most of Beijing is grey.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your perserverance. Every morning I get up and check your blog for the latest update. Makes me feel like we have had a telephone chat and I know what is happening with you. Temperatures reached over 40 degrees C yesterda in Chch, and it was similarly baking all over the country. We have had two of the most gorgeous days. I waft around the house drinking cool fruity, bubbly beverages and doing projects. It is a quiet, stress free holiday.
    I am glad you bought some Ninja Wear, continue to spoil yourself. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All black clothes aye... You are vying for a membership to the Pygmy'n Monie Black Clothes Clan! I think you'll make the grade! Between you and Rose, we back here in the tropics are getting a great insight into your adventures! Hope the internet sorts itself out so you can keep recording all you do, and share with us! We're at Waihi Beach and it's slightly overcast. What a relief!
    Ata e hoa
    Take care friends
    Pygmy

    ReplyDelete