Friday, January 9, 2009

Classic Signage

One of my favourite pastimes over here is photographing hilariously translated signs. When we spend all day walking around feeling like idiots can you blame me for taking pleasure in the Chinese' mistakes? It does make me wonder if we have clothing with Chinese characters on it whether it says something completely ridiculous and we don't realise. Hmmm...
Mum, if you want some of this let me know. I'll hook you up.
Ooooh. I imagine in Chinese this is more romantic and less creepy. MAybe not, it could be a niche store.
above the men's urinal at the Summer Palace.
So true...
Oh, you superior bitch.

This one's kind of hard to read. I caption for you!
"In this world there are several men who make us envy but appreciated. They are near to be perfect. Although time has passed several centuries, we have come to an era of fast tempo with turgidity and vanity. Those people are just like twinkling diamond and glitter silently in the streams of time."
I know what you're thinking: this should be my next tattoo, yes?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Engrish! I can't wait to see your slideshow when you get home. I think the last saying might be a bit overlong in Engrish. Is the Chinese more condesed, ecause that would be awesome. When people asked you what it meant, you could BLOW THEM AWAY, with the translation. Any sentence that uses the word 'turgidity' is golden. I started my first French lessons today. 2 hours of conjugating verbs and learning the basics. Eeep. And it is all so annoyingly similar to Spanish, so I keep stuffing it up. Yah you and the Chinese though. You will be an expert who make us envy but appreciated with your near to perfect.

    ReplyDelete